Friday, February 25

A Lot

After reading Nat’s review on Her Fearful Symmetry, I finally decided to let go of it and get a move on with The Reader. I don’t particularly hate the book you see but I find it too long and for the lack of words, too shallow, like the author should have cut some scenes and stuck with the most vital parts. I enjoyed the setting and the fact that it’s as beguiling (especially when it’s categorized in the gothic genre) as The Virgin Suicides. I also liked the author’s words and style, only this time the plot was a no-brainer. I’m a hundred pages or so away from finishing it, but finding out that the end would suck ass  i.e. Elspeth would rise from the dead by taking Valentina’s body  was just too hilarious/too much for me. So, I’m currently stunned that Niffenegger bagged $8M for a bundle of paper that lacks content and clarity.

Today I was able to read a few chapters for my exam in ES13. I realized that it would be easier to focus on studying when you set your mind into thinking that you are studying because you are happy doing that. I know it’s too simple but it worked for me. Most of the time, I don’t really care why I bother solving mechanics problems. It’s just something that I have to do, like taking a bath or sleeping. I mean I’m not stupid to think that there’s no reason behind it, but I always feel that I am studying for the sake of other people. This time around, I’ll see to it that I am ALWAYS doing it for myself and I’m learning.

Suicide is a selfish act. Live.