Monday, April 25

Triste San Valentín



last night i got down to watching blue valentine. i haven't yet watched any michelle william's film so i was kind of excited to see her in this highly celebrated movie. the plot of the story is simple and unsurprising - a young college girl fell in love , had a baby, got married, and fell out of love too soon. i was even kind of worried that i would sleep again in the middle of the movie like i did when i tried to watch little children, a little thing called love, and paper heart. all throughout the movie i was thinking, it wasn't what i expected it to be / it's a little too drab  blah blah. the setting's too gray/blue and barren, the characters are a little bit mediocre, and there isn't much oomph plotwise. but what the hell. i loved it. it's really so strange/too confounded to realize that i love it for the mere fact that i hate it. i won't even dare change a single element in the movie if given the chance because it has to be like that --unambitious yet honest and profound. i now see that the whole appeal of blue valentine speaks for dean's character himself. and to give emphasis on that:

Dean: I get up for work, I have a beer, I go to work, I paint somebody's house. They're excited about it. I come home, I get to be with you. What's... Like... This is a dream.
Cindy: It doesn't disappoint you?
Dean: Why would it disappoint me?
Cindy: Because you have all this potential.
Dean: I could still do whatever I could do. So what? Why do you have to fucking make money off your potential?
10/10 well at least for me

PS the soundtrack's so cool! i've been listening to grizzly bear since