Sunday, August 16

Sam and Her Simple World

I love talking to little kids. I love how they talk about their favorite colors, the subjects they found difficulty in, how many best friends they have. I also love the lightness it gives me. It reminds me that the world is as simple as the abc.

In my swimming class a while ago, I found a new little friend. Her name is Sam and she's adorably cute. She studies in Mary Knoll, and she does taekwondo and swimming. She talks to me in her best english, and I could not help but admire her articulate words. We talked about our favorite colors and the sports we engage in. We also talked about the sky and airplanes and barbie dolls. She said she doesn't play barbie dolls anymore, which really was interesting for her age. I mean she's only six years old, and what she loves to do are to swim and to kick ass. I forgot to ask her why, but I guess it was because she believed in conquering her fear (another interesting thing about this 6-year old girl). When I asked her why she wanted to learn how to swim, she said it was because she wanted to learn how to "backstroke". She badly wanted to float, but she couldn't because her fear in basic streamlining got the best of her.

So I helped her in the least possible way I could do, I talked to her. After some time, she felt at ease. I could finally see her holding her breath for the longest time, paddling her arms as if she could span an isle, kicking her legs and feet like the tiny little fish in the mediterranean. I could finally see that she was slowly forgetting the idea of fear.

At the end of the day, we heard the good news that we're going to learn how to "freestyle" next week. So we went home happy with our hearts warm for the newfound friendship that could last for a brief moment but could be remembered for a life time.